Tuesday, September 27, 2005

The Zahir

Yesterday evening I was standing at the Victor Hugo, this is spot were all partners in crime (including myself) meet for all activities done under sky, waiting for the tram. This stop needs a special mention as all the people take it for granted that it’s the place to get-together.

A few things to mention
# The only tram stop even at 2 am in the morning you can meet people
# The popular radio man is mostly found in that stop
# There a nice park around the corner
# All theaters are around this place
# All banks are there with ATM’s
# & last but not the least this is the city centre with Mc.D there ;-)

Now coming back to the topic where I started as I wanting for the tram, a lady on the pushchair come to me and starts talking to me in French, I was so engrossed in the book I didn’t bother saying hello to her even. Later she realizes that I didn’t give her attention she comes a bit close and asks have u read “Veronika Decides to Die". I still didn’t bother to respond to her. I’m not like this usually, this was more due to the book, I was feeling little lost. I was wanting to finish the book AEAP so was highly focused on the same then she says are you reading “The Zahir”
I nodded in a manner that prompted her to say “you don’t know Zahir”. These words really caught my mind and I grabbed the moment to give a glance as who was this saying to me with so much confidence, and I see a smiling face saying once again “you don’t know Zahir”, I just responded saying I’m still reading.

According to the Author What Zahir is?
PAULO COELHO: According to the writer Jorge Luis Borges, the idea of the Zahir comes from the Islamic tradition and probably arose in the eighteenth century. In Arabic “zahir” means “visible”, “present”, “incapable of going unnoticed”. It can refer to an object or a person, and that object or person gradually takes over our every thought, until we are unable to think of anything else. This could be considered a state of holiness or a state of madness.