Thursday, April 27, 2006

Vigeland Park - OSLO

One of the main highlights of Oslo is the Vigeland sculpture park. I’m still to post my Norway travel log, will have to write about it soon. Here are my thoughts on this park, I found it very disturbing one. I don’t know how many people would like it. So the picture I had shot boils down to just one. This park contains 192 sculptures with various figures. Expression in all walks of life can be found here in the 600 figures which represent one life right from rite from the new born baby to death. Every expression is captured with the minutest details.
Gustav Vigeland single handedly managed to model the entire work just by himself.
He also designed the architecture of park so that these take u through the rite path.
There is one thing which attracted me the most is the The Monolith & The Wheel Of Life

The Monolith column is 46 feet high and is carved out of a single stone and it consists of 121 figures and was completed just before Vigeland died. The column is completely covered by humans. There are various interpretations of this one – for me its everyday life and how you over come the same.

Read more here about other pictures there